Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I obtain files or special reports based on data from your site?
- For information on obtaining datasets or special reports please visit our Custom Reports and Datasets section.
- How do I know whether data are accurate?
- CostReportData.com takes reasonable steps to report data as they appear in public use files. There are no warranties, however, regarding accuracy or suitability for a particular purpose.
- Why aren't there more recent financial data for a hospital?
- Cost reports are submitted to Fiscal Intermediaries about three months after the end of a facility's fiscal year. The processing lag time is generally at least 6 months before it becomes available in public files. During times of change in the Medicare program the processing times can be much longer. We update our files once each quarter when public files are updated. See Recent Updates for the number of hospitals by fiscal year following the latest update.
- Why are some worksheets missing?
- The green navigation bar shows all of the worksheets that are available for a hospital. If a worksheet number is "ghosted" on the navigation bar it means that the hospital did not file the worksheet. If a worksheet number does not appear it means that the worksheet is not available from the website. Some worksheets are not included because data are not available from the CMS Healthcare Cost Report Information System dataset (HCRIS) or because the worksheets are seldom used.
- What if I have technical questions about the data?
- Questions about data can be directed to support@CostReportData.com and will be answered as quickly as possible. We cannot answer general questions regarding Medicare cost reporting. Please note that there is a link in the upper-left corner of each worksheet to the most recent published instructions from CMS.
- Can I share my subscription with other people?
- CostReportData.com subscriptions have been designed and priced for single users. There are controls that prevent simultaneous usage by more than one person using the same password. There are also controls that prevent unreasonably high levels of usage for a single password. (Discounts are available for multiple users within an organization. For more information please see subscription information or contact support@CostReportData.com).
- What if I'm not satisfied with my subscription?
- CostReportData.com wants to ensure that all subscribers are satisfied with the quality and accessibility of services. If you encounter problems, please let us know. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
How Does It Work?
Look up hospitals and view available cost reports. Open an account and purchase individual cost reports for $90 each. Once purchased, you can login to your account and view worksheets online for up to 30 days. Worksheets can also be printed or downloaded in both Excel and pdf formats. If you decide to subscribe for unlimited access, the costs of singles cost reports can be applied toward your Annual Subscription for up to 30 days. <more>
Subscribers have unlimited access to all available cost reports for a full year. Available cost reports are continually updated as new information becomes available. Subscribers can look up worksheets online, print them, or download them in both Excel and pdf formats. Subscribers also receive a 20% discount on any Custom Datasets. <more>
Reports or datasets can be produced to your exact specifications. Custom reports and data sets are prepared quickly and economically by experienced analysts. Economical, predefined datasets are also available for the most commonly requested cost report data. <more>